Boarding Foil – Lost or Stolen Green cards

Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issues Permanent Resident Cards (I-551) to immigrants who are legally admitted for residence in the United States. Permanent Resident Cards (commonly known as “Green Cards”) can only be issued or replaced in the United States and cannot be obtained overseas.

If you have one of the following items, a boarding foil is not required:
These individuals should consult their air carrier prior to applying for a boarding foil (completion of an I-131A form and payment of the fee).

  • An expired Permanent Resident Card with a 10-year expiration date,
  • An expired Permanent Resident Card (with a two-year validity), and a Form I-797, Notice of Action, indicating that status is extended,

Note: If you have an expired Green Card with a 2-year expiration date AND a Form I-797, Notice of Action, showing that they have filed a Form I-751 or Form I-829 to remove the conditions on their permanent resident status, the Form I-797 extends the validity of the card for a specified length of time, generally one year.

  • Orders from the U.S. government (civilian or military) showing that time outside the U.S. was on official government business.
  • A valid Reentry Permit.

If you have left your Green Card in the United States, you should ask a friend or relative there to send you the card.

If your Green Card has been lost, stolen, or destroyed, you may be able to obtain a “Boarding Foil” valid for 30 days or less, for a single entry. To issue a “Boarding Foil”, the consular officer interviews you to confirm that you hold a Lawful Permanent Resident status in the United States.

How to apply for a boarding foil:

Step 1: Pay the I-131A filing fee online.

  • Pay the filing fee using a credit or debit card or U.S. bank account through the USCIS online payment system ELIS. Be sure to read the instructions before you pay as this fee is not refundable regardless of the decision on the application. Applicants will need their A number in order to pay the fee, which they may obtain from the nearest USCIS office if they do not have it.
  • If you plan to file a Form I-131A to apply for a LPR boarding foil, please note that you must pay the filing fee online on the USCIS website before appearing in person at a consular section. Information on the new form and fee is located here. You must bring evidence of payment, in the form of a printed email receipt notice or confirmation page, when you appear in person to file Form I-131A. As with all immigration fees, USCIS does not issue refunds, regardless of the decision on the application. USCIS will also not provide applicants an I-131A fee payment refund if the individual should have applied for an SB-1 instead of a boarding foil.
  • Q: Where can I obtain my A number or find out more information?
    A: Please direct your inquiries to the nearest USCIS field office location.
  • Q: Can the I-131A fee paid to USCIS be refunded?
    A: An I-131A fee will only be refunded in the event of U.S. government error. USCIS will not process a refund if an applicant later determines that an LPR boarding foil was unnecessary.

Step 2: Prepare the following documents

  • A completed Form I-131A Page 1-3 (and page 4-5 if applicable)
  • Copy of payment receipt for the I-131A online, i.e. a printed email receipt notice or confirmation page
  • Unexpired passport
  • Your airplane tickets (the one ticket showing your most recent departure date from the U.S.). Do NOT buy non-changeable tickets to return to the U.S. until you have received your boarding foil.
  • Evidence of your U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident status (e.g. passport showing the admission stamp to the United States as a Lawful Permanent Resident, copy of your green card if available)
  • Evidence that you were in the United States within the last 12 months
  • Thai Police report from when the card was lost or stolen. Detailed explanation is required as to when and to whom you reported loss or theft of the card, if police report is not available, and an English translation
  • One passport-style color photograph with white background taken within 30 days. Note: Applicants are not permitted to wear eyeglasses in the photos.

Processing time will depend on the circumstances of your case and the amount of information and evidence you provide. The normal processing time is five working days from the time of your interview with a consular officer, but individual circumstances can vary. Also, at least two visits to the embassy are required. (i.e. One for the interview, and one for picking up your passport with a boarding foil when approved.)

Step 3: Make an appointment to come to the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok for an interview with a consular officer

  • Email with “Apply for a Boarding Foil” as the email subject to request an appointment time. Appointments are generally available within two to three working days of receipt of the email. Our office will respond to you with an appointment time.
  • When you come to your appointment, you need to have all the documents in step 2 already prepared and bring them with you. If you do not have these completed documents with you, the consular officer will be unable to interview you and you will need to make another appointment for a later date.