U.S. Mission Thailand’s security procedures require that all visitors receive a security inspection. You will be allowed to check one cell phone at the gate but the U.S. mission Thailand and local guards are not liable for any loss or damage to your cell phone while it is checked. You will NOT be allowed to enter the Embassy or Consulate for your appointment carrying any of the following items:
- Any other battery-operated or electronic devices such as computer tablets, digital diaries, pagers, cameras, audio/video cassettes, compact discs, MP3s, floppy disks, laptops, or portable music players.
- Any oversize shoulder bags or purses.
- Any oversize handbags and travel bags, large back-packs, briefcases, or suitcases. Applicants can only carry in clear bags containing papers needed for their appointment
- Any food item (a coffee stand with snacks is available).
- Sealed envelopes or packages.
- Cigarettes / cigars / match boxes / lighters.
- Any sharp objects such as scissors, pen knives or nail files.
- Weapons or explosive materials of any kind.
The list provided above is not exhaustive. Other items may be prohibited at the discretion of security staff. Other than the one allowed cell phone, the U.S. mission Thailand will not accept the storage of any of the above prohibited items. You will have to make alternate arrangements to store these items before you enter the Embassy or Consulate.
Tips to make your visit easier and more productive:
- Please have all necessary forms/documentation completed and ready to present to an Embassy official.
- Bring a printed copy of your appointment confirmation page.
- Have your Passport and/or government-issued ID ready and easily accessible.
- Bring no more than one small electronic device, such as a cell phone or MP3 player – do not bring laptops or photographic equipment –and have the device out and ready to present to the security guard before you enter the screening area.
- Check in at at American Citizen Services Unit and give our staff a copy of your appointment confirmation printout upon arrival in our waiting room.
- Feel free to use the telephone by the guard booth to reach an English-speaking Embassy employee if you have any questions.
- The consular waiting room at the U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai is a covered but outdoor space with no air filtration system. During periods of unhealthy or hazardous air quality customers should consider taking precautions to protect themselves. While customers are required to remove facemasks during the security screening and interview, customers are allowed to wear facemasks while sitting in the waiting room. If you wish to cancel and reschedule your appointment in Chiang Mai during a period of unhealthy or hazardous air please go to the ACS Appointment System Instructions page.
- If you choose to bike to the Embassy or Consulate, please note that due to security regulations you will not be able to park your bike near the Embassy or Consulate You may be able to find another location to lock your bike at another location in the vicinity.