Replacing an Emergency Limited Validity Passport

Replacing an Emergency Limited Validity Passport

If you have been issued an emergency limited validity passport, you can replace it at no charge for a full validity passport by mail as long as it is not damaged and was issued less than one year ago. Please follow the instructions below.

Check your passport endorsement, it must be one of the following endorsements, see endorsement information page.



If your emergency limited validity passport has different endorsement, was issued more than one year from its issuance date, or was damaged, please visit our website at to research your appropriate passport option.

The process may take up to six to eight weeks from the date we receive your application to when you receive your new passport book by mail. Please note, there is no expedite service when applying for U.S. passport overseas.

1.1 Complete DS-5504  in full. SIGN the application with the same signature as your most recent passport.

Remarks: For a minor age 0-15, one of parents must sign the application and submit two additional documents as following:

  • a copy of valid passport or a government issued photo ID of parent who signs the application
  • a copy of parental relationship evidence, one of the followings:
    1. U.S. birth certificate
    2. Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
    3. Foreign birth certificate
    4. Adoption decree
    5. Divorce/Custody decree

*NOTE: You must provide a Social Security number if you been issued one, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f).

  • If you do not have, forgotten or lost, a Social Security number, please click here.
    If an applicant is unable to provide their SSN, then U.S. Embassy Bangkok can issue a direct-return passport to the United States only.
  • If you have never been issued Social Security Number (SSN), you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct:  I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”

1.2 Complete and Print Checklist (PDF 245KB)

1.3 Your emergency limited validity passport and 1 clear photo copy

1.4 Two passport photograph (See photo requirements)

Photo Examples

Photo Example
Photo Example

There is no passport application fee required when replace an emergency limited validity passport with a full validity passport within one year of its issuance date.

An insured return envelope is required when you are applying for U.S. passport in Thailand. Please pay Thailand Post Courier Pass Back envelope fee 100THB here. (If the page appears in Thai, you may use a translate function into English at the top right corner of the page.)

The fee is non-refundable and the mailing information cannot be amended after paid; ensure providing the applicant’s full name and accurate returning address on both shipping and billing address. Then, includes a payment confirmation email in your application package. An actual envelope will be delivered to U.S. Embassy in Bangkok and U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai for returning your document.

The tracking number will be provided in a separate email from the vendor. You may trace your passport after the processing time has passed by using the tracking number here

NOTE: Prepaid envelope cannot be accepted when you are applying for a U.S. passport in Thailand.

Send your completed application package ONLY through the following couriers (Thailand Post and DHL), otherwise the package will be rejected; ensuring that you received a tracking number from the courier.

Mailing address:

U.S. Embassy Bangkok Mailing Address:
Passport-by-Mail Service
ACS/Consular Section,
U.S. Embassy,
95 Wireless Road,
Bangkok 10330, Thailand


Consulate General Chiang Mai Mailing Address:
Passport-by-Mail Service
ACS/Consular Section,
U.S. Consulate General Chiang Mai
387 Witchayanond Rd.
T.Changmoi A. Muang
Chiang Mai 50300, Thailand

To replace an Emergency Limited Validity Passport in the United States, please see information here.