Replacing an Emergency Limited Validity Passport
If you have been issued an emergency limited validity passport. You can replace it for a full validity passport by mail, please follow the instructions below. Please note that your emergency limited validity passport must have been under the following conditions:
- issued within one year of its issuance date, and
- is not damaged.
Check your passport endorsement, it must be one of the following endorsements, see endorsement information page.
+ THIS PASSPORT EXPIRES ON (MON DY, YEAR) AND CANNOT BE EXTENDED.
+ THIS PASSPORT IS A REPLACEMENT FOR A (LOST/STOLEN/DAMAGED) PASSPORT AND EXPIRES ON (MON DY, YEAR). IT CANNOT BE EXTENDED.
If your emergency limited validity passport has different endorsement, was issued more than one year from its issuance date, or was damaged, please visit our website at https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/ to research your appropriate passport option.
The process may take up to four to five weeks from the date we receive your application to when you receive your new passport book by mail. Please note, there is no expedite service when applying for U.S. passport overseas.
1. Required Documents
1.1 Complete DS-5504 in full. SIGN the application with the same signature as your most recent passport.
Remarks: For a minor age 0-15, one of parents must sign the application and submit two additional documents as following:
- a copy of valid passport or a government issued photo ID of parent who signs the application
- a copy of parental relationship evidence, one of the followings:
- U.S. birth certificate
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Foreign birth certificate
- Adoption decree
- Divorce/Custody decree
- If you do not have, forgotten or lost, a Social Security number, please click here.
If an applicant is unable to provide their SSN, then U.S. Embassy Bangkok can issue a direct-return passport to the United States only.
- If you have never been issued Social Security Number (SSN), you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”
1.2 Complete and Print Checklist (PDF 205KB)
1.3 Your emergency limited validity passport and 1 clear photo copy
1.4 Two passport photograph (See photo requirements)
There is no passport application fee required when replace an emergency limited validity passport with a full validity passport within one year of its issuance date.
3. Return Envelope
An insured return envelope is required when you are applying for U.S. passport in Thailand. Please purchase a bank draft to pay for the envelope fee.
- Purchase 100 THB Bank draft for a Return Envelope fee from the following banks:
- Pay to American Embassy Bangkok in Thai Baht
Send your completed application package ONLY through the following couriers (Thailand Post and DHL), otherwise the package will be rejected; ensuring that you received a tracking number from the courier.
U.S. Embassy Bangkok Mailing Address:
95 Wireless Road,
Bangkok 10330, Thailand
Consulate General Chiang Mai Mailing Address:
U.S. Consulate General Chiang Mai
387 Witchayanond Rd.
T.Changmoi A. Muang
Chiang Mai 50300, Thailand