How to Replace a Lost/Stolen Adult Passport (Ages 16+)
The loss of a valid U.S. passport is a serious matter. After making every attempt to recover the missing passport, you must obtain a police report from the Thai Police station near the location the loss occurred or nearest you. (Tourist Police Hotline: 1155)
1. Make an appointment and print your Appointment Confirmation page.
If your passport has been lost/stolen close to your scheduled international travel date and you can show proof of imminent travel, you may be able to appear during appointment hours without an appointment at the discretion of Consular staff. It is recommended you appear at 7:30am Monday – Friday (except U.S./Thai holidays or the last Wednesday of the every month) to replace a lost/stolen passport.
2.Complete form DS-11 and form DS-64 online but do not submit it electronically. Overseas applicants must PRINT the completed form and bring it to the appointment. (If you do not have access to the necessary technology, you may obtain a blank copy of the form in our office when you appear. Use of the blank version will lengthen check-in time.)
3. Bring the following to the appointment:
- Appointment confirmation page
- Original police report documenting the loss/theft
- Form DS-11 (completed, but NOT signed)
- Form DS-64 (completed, but NOT signed)
- A photocopy of your lost/stolen passport, if available
- A valid government issued photo ID, if available
- One new Passport Photo (Please see link for detailed information)
- Appropriate fee and method of payment
Social Security numbers are REQUIRED on all U.S. passport applications:
You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f).
- If you have forgotten or lost your Social Security Number (SSN), please contact Federal Benefit Unit (FBU) in Manila by e-mail at FBU.Manila@SSA.gov about how to obtain your SSN.
- Please note the following important guidance:
- U.S. Embassy Bangkok cannot provide your SSN.
- Replacement SSN cards can only be sent to a U.S. address.
- Applicants can retrieve a SSN card or SSN number directly by visiting the FBU at U.S. Embassy Manila.
- If an applicant is unable to locate their SSN and cannot retrieve the information from FBU Manila via mail or in-person visit, then U.S. Embassy Bangkok can issue a direct-return passport to the United States only.
- Please note the following important guidance:
- If you have never been issued Social Security Number (SSN), you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”
How will I receive my new passport
U.S. Embassy Bangkok
Please carefully review all the below information as failure to do so could result in a delay of your renewal:
All full-validity passport applications received by U.S. Embassy Bangkok are electronically forwarded to the United States for processing and printing. It takes two-weeks for a full-validity passport to be processed, printed and then mailed to the Embassy. There are NO “expediting services” overseas.
The Passport Retrieval Process Has Changed! – Beginning 1 July 2018:
Passport Return by Thai Post Registered Mail:
Your new passport will be sent to your mailing address in Thailand through registered mail. ACS will cancel your current passport at the time of application and return it to you.
At your appointment you will be given instructions to purchase an envelope from the on-site Thai Post kiosk. Your envelope will cost 100THB and your receipt will contain an individual tracking number. You will retain your current passport which will be cancelled and no longer valid for international travel.
Your approved application will be electronically forwarded to the United States. Processing and printing can take up to two-weeks (10-14 days). Your new passport is then mailed to U.S. Embassy Bangkok.
Once your new passport arrives at the Embassy it will be mailed to you in the pre-purchased Thai Post envelope along with a letter for you to provide Thai Immigration to transfer your visa/entry stamp.
Track My Passport:
After the two-week processing period has passed you may track your passport through the Thai Post website www.thailandpost.co.th. Your tracking number is located on your Thai Post receipt. Your new passport will reach you within 2-3 weeks from the date your application was received for processing. Someone must be present to sign for delivery. If no one is present to sign and receive the envelope it will be kept at your local Thai Post Office until you retrieve it. Please check with your local Thai Post Office before reaching out to ACS if you have not received your envelope within two to three weeks.
Passport pick-up in person is only available for customers traveling within the two weeks following application. Please show proof of imminent travel at the time of application. If passport pick-up in person is approved, you may come to the Embassy without an appointment on Thursdays between 8:00- 9:00 am EXCEPT Thai/ U.S. holidays. Please bring:
- Your payment receipt and pick- up instructions to facilitate entry;
- Your current U.S passport
Help! I Am Traveling Within the Next Two to Three Weeks:
If you have an urgent need for a replacement passport and can show proof of imminent travel (a purchased and booked flight itinerary), you may be able to retrieve your passport in-person during a limited pick-up window at the discretion of consular staff. Be prepared to show proof of imminent travel in conjunction with your passport application.
Help! I Have Emergency Travel Plans Within One Week:
If you have an urgent need for a replacement passport and can show proof of imminent travel (a purchased and booked flight itinerary), we may be able to issue you a limited-validity emergency passport within 72-hours at the discretion of consular staff. You will be directed to retrieve your passport in-person during a limited pick-up window by consular staff.
IMPORTANT: An emergency passport has only 5 pages, 1-year validity, and is issued only under special circumstances. The validity cannot be extended and pages cannot be added.
You may be denied entry into certain countries if traveling on an emergency passport. Research your travel destination’s entry regulations by visiting our website www.travel.state.gov before you apply. Indonesia does not permit entry for individuals traveling on emergency passports.
U.S. citizens who hold limited-validity passports are encouraged to obtain a full-validity passport once the emergency travel is completed.
Consulate General Chiang Mai
We will notify you by email when the new passport arrives, usually in about two weeks. You will need to pick up your passport directly from the Consulate on any Tuesday and Thursday between 13:30-15:30, except holidays.
Passport delivery service: Starting May 15, 2017, the Thai Post will be able to send new passports by mail to addresses within Thailand. If you would like to use this service, please follow the instructions below:
- Purchase a “courier pass-back envelope” for 100 THB from one of the following Chiang Mai Post Offices.
Chiang Mai Post Office (by the railway station) Nong Hoi Post Office Chang Klan Post Office Suanprung Post Office Sriphum Post Office Chiang Mai Post Office Prasingh Post Office Chang Puak Post Office Chiang Mai Provincial Hall Post Office Kam Tieng Post Office CGS Chiang Mai Post Office (Central Plaza Airport) Mae Hia Post Office Counter Kad Suan Keaw Post Office Counter Chiang Mai University Post Office Mae Ping Post Office
- Clearly write your address, in Thai or in English letters, on the pass-back envelope.
- Submit your current passport and the pass-back envelope when you come to the consulate for your passport renewal appointment.
- The consulate will provide you with a letter indicating that your passport is being held at the Consulate for processing.
- Receive your new passport (and previous passport, cancelled) at your Thai address in approximately 3 weeks.
Please note: The “courier pass-back envelope” may not be purchased in provinces outside Chiang Mai at this time. Please purchase the envelope at one of the post offices above before you visit the consulate.
If you have an urgent need for a replacement passport and can show proof of imminent travel, we may be able to issue you an “emergency passport” while you wait or within 24 hours. Please note that an emergency passport has a limited validity period of up to one year and may be replaced (free-of-charge) with a full-validity passport within that time.
Transfer Thai visa and entry/exit stamps
Thai immigration law requires entry/exit stamps and Thai visas be transferred into new passports. After receiving your new passport, please visit any Thai immigration office to have the visa transferred. The letter to facilitate visa transfers comes standard with all passport renewals and is provided without fee.
Please bring with you:
- Canceled passport, new passport and your visa-transfer letter
The Thai Immigration offices nearest Embassy Bangkok and Consulate General Chiang Mai are:
To transfer other foreign visas please contact the respective country’s immigration authority or visa issuing agency. You may need to travel with your both your new and canceled passport if the country does not transfer visas.