Passport Services Frequently Asked Questions

Have a question about passport services? Please take the time to review the information on our website together with the following most frequently asked questions. If, after reviewing the information your question remains unanswered, please get in touch using our contact form.

If you have an urgent need for a replacement passport and can show proof of imminent travel, we may be able to issue you a limited-validity emergency passport within 72-hours at the discretion of consular staff. Also, if no appointment is available, you may be able to appear during appointment hours without an appointment at the discretion of consular staff. It is recommended you appear at 7:30am Monday –Friday (except U.S./Thai holidays or the last Wednesday of the every month).

Please note: An emergency passport has only 5 pages, maximum 1-year validity, and is issued under special circumstances.  The validity cannot be extended and pages cannot be added.

You may be denied entry into certain countries if traveling on an emergency passport. Research your travel destination’s entry regulations by visiting our website before you apply. Indonesia does not permit entry for individuals traveling on emergency passports.


If your passport is lost or stolen, please make an appointment and visit the U.S. Embassy/Consulate in person to replace your lost passport. Please follow the detailed instructions for a lost or stolen passport.

No. Visa expiration does not constitute an emergency passport. You will need to apply to renew your passport and will be issued the standard 52-page book. Please see passports for further details.

In many cases adults (ages 16+) can renew a passport by mail. Please follow the detailed instructions for adult passport renewal by mail.

Full-validity passports are printed in the United States and mailed to an Embassy or Consulate. It takes approximately 6-8 weeks for a full-validity passport to be processed.

No. Expedited service is only available for applications within the United States.

You may renew your passport at any time before or after it expires. However, we encourage you to renew your passport at least six months before it expires. Please note that some countries require more than six months validity on your passport to enter that country.

Yes. We will cancel your old passport and return it to you with your new passport.

Thai immigration law requires entry/exit stamps and Thai visas be transferred into new passports. After receiving your new passport, please visit any Thai immigration office to have the visa transferred.

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. If you cross the U.S. border by land regularly, it is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card can NOT be used for international travel by air.

Please see the Department of State website at for passport card fees and additional information.

Adding visa pages to your passport service is no longer available. Applicants who need extra pages will need to apply to renew their passports and will be issued the standard 50-page book. Please see passports for further details.

Please complete the Bangkok contact form or Chiang Mai contact form and do not forget to include the full name of the applicant and list the documents you are submitting.