Notarial Services

U.S. Consular Officers may provide specific notarial services authorized by relevant U.S. law and Department of State policy for all U.S. citizens. In addition, they can provide services for any person regardless of nationality so long as the document being notarized is required for use within the jurisdiction of the United States and is authorized by relevant U.S. law.

For detailed information about Notarial and Authentication Services of U.S. Consular Officers Abroad please visit the U.S. State Department’s official website.

Service we CANNOT provide

U.S. Embassy Bangkok / U.S. Consulate General Chiang Mai cannot notarize an affidavit statement such as “I, John Citizen, affirm that my birth certificate/academic credentials/etc is genuine.”

For more information, please refer to our Fact Sheet (PDF 230KB).

Such documents must be authenticated in the United States for use overseas; for additional details, please visit the Department of State’s Notarial and Authentication Services or the Office of Authentication, or call +1 202-485-8000.

Please visit the National Center for Health Statistics webpage Where to Write for Vital Records for state specific information on how to request copies of vital records.

Contact the educational institution which issued the document. For further information visit the Department of State’s website Authentication of American Academic Credentials for Use Abroad.

U.S. Embassy in Bangkok and U.S. Consulate in Chiang Mai are unable to authenticate public documents issued in the United States. Such documents include vital records (birth, marriage, death and divorce), as well as academic, commercial, or other credentials.

Please find detailed steps for Authentications of U.S. documents to be used abroad below and which will ensure your documents meet authentication requirements demanded by Thai authorities during your stay in Thailand.

Step 1 Check an authentication certificate requirements for a document to be authenticated

Step 2 Visit the Royal Thai Embassy for a document legalization, or look up the United States-based Embassy of the country where the documents will be used.

Step 3 Visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Legalization Division, Consular Affairs in Thailand.

For more information about Authentications of U.S. documents to be used abroad is available here

A formal renunciation of U.S. Nationality can only be made in front of a Diplomatic or consular officer of the United States in a foreign state.  Should you wish to formally renounce your U.S. citizenship, please carefully review the Loss of Citizenship and Nationality information at the following link:

After you have reviewed and clearly understood the relevant Loss of Citizenship and Nationality information and conditions, you may contact us via the appropriate Contact form depending on your location below to schedule Renunciation appointment:

Bangkok Contact Form for the American Citizens Services unit at the U.S. Embassy, Bangkok,

Chiang Mai Contact Form for the American Citizens Services unit at the U.S. Consulate General, Chiang Mai.

U.S. Embassy Bangkok and U.S. Consulate General Chiang Mai do not notarize income affidavits. For more information, please refer to our Fact Sheet (PDF 266KB).

Retirement Criteria and required documents is available on Immigration Bureau page here Visa Extension – สำนักงานตรวจคนเข้าเมือง – Immigration Bureau

A Medallion Signature Guarantee is not a notarial service, but rather a special procedure related to securities, which can only be performed by an authorized representative of a financial institution participating in a medallion program approved by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).

U.S. Embassy Bangkok / U.S. Consulate General Chiang Mai cannot notarize the document that satisfies a specific legal requirement, that a person is the spouse of another, or an individual is an employee of a certain business or corporation.

Information on Apostilles can be found on the Department of State webpage Judicial Assistance – Notarial and Authentication (Apostille).

U.S. Embassy Bangkok and U.S. Consulate General Chiang Mai do not provide “verification” letters to open Thai bank accounts.

In Bangkok, please contact the Thai Immigration Bureau’s Chaeng Wattana Office (Counter B, 1st Floor) in Bangkok or the nearest regional immigration office in other provinces (except the Nonthaburi office, which does not issue them) to obtain a certificate of residence from Thai Immigration Bureau. For more information please refer to our Fact Sheet (PDF 173KB).

Service we CAN provide

An affidavit is a sworn statement of facts, made voluntarily, and confirmed by the oath or affirmation of the person making it. The Embassy and Consulate assume no responsibility for the veracity of the representations that appear in the affidavit. Only the identity of the individual making the statement is validated.

NOTE: the Embassy and Consulate will not notarize affidavits or perform other notarial services listed in the “Services we CANNOT provide” section above even if it is statement that you yourself wrote and are seeking to have notarized.

An Acknowledgement of signature verifies a particular person signed a given document such as a deed or bill of sale. We can notarize only the signatures of those who are present to sign in front of a Notarizing Officer. If you are signing on behalf of a corporation, LLC, etc., you are required to provide proof that you are authorized to sign on behalf of the organization.

Authentications certify the official seal, signature and/ or authority of foreign officials who perform an official act with regard to a document that is to be used in the United States.  The U.S. Embassy may authenticate documents that bear the seal of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs provided their signature is on file with this office.

A Consular Authentication does not attest to the authenticity of the contents of a document but merely to the seal and signature of the issuing Thai government official.

When a child under the age of 16 applies for a U.S. passport service, the child and both parents are typically required to appear in person. If you are not able to attend their passport appointment in person, you may submit a notarized Statement of Consent, Form DS-3053.

There is no fee for this service.

A power of attorney allows you to designate someone to take legal action on your behalf, such as authorizing someone to buy or sell a property in the United States in your name while you are abroad. You can use our blank Power of Attorney or bring your own drafted one.  If you are signing on behalf of a corporation, LLC, etc., you are required to provide proof that you are authorized to sign on behalf of the organization.

Only the individual(s) SIGNING the document(s) should schedule an appointment and appear. The American Citizens Services unit has limited appointment availability. Individuals who are not required to sign should not schedule an appointment as it would take the appointment away from another person who may need it. Minor children may accompany a guardian, however, this is not recommended as the waiting area is small and unaccommodating. 

If your document requires the presence of witnesses, you must supply these witnesses and each witness MUST have their own scheduled appointment. Witnesses must bring their valid government-issued photo ID. Consular staff CANNOT act as witnesses.

Make an appointment using our ACS Appointment System Website.

Please print, organize and complete the appropriate notary form before your appointment. There are no public printing or copying services at the Embassy and Consulate. If you do not have access to the necessary technology, you may obtain a blank copy of an affidavit in the waiting room on your appointment date. Use of the blank version will lengthen your check-in time.

In order to receive notarial services from the Consular Section you must:

  • Understand your document. Consular staff cannot explain the contents to you;
  • Complete the document with the appropriate names, places, and dates before you arrive (but do not sign it; you must sign in front of a Notarizing Officer);
  • Include all pages, information and accompanying documents;
  • Organize all pages in order and the page(s) that requires the notary seal must be clearly flagged on the edge of the document;
  • Ensure name of the individual signing the document matches the name on the presented identification (i.e., passport or other government issued ID);
  • If you are signing on behalf of a corporation, LLC, etc., you must bring proof that you are authorized to sign on behalf of the organization; e.g. business card and/or articles of incorporation etc.
  • If your document requires witnesses, please ensure they each have a separate scheduled appointment and appear with a valid government issued photo ID;
  • Do not sign your document until requested to do so by a Consular Officer.

On the date of your appointment please bring with you:

  • The unsigned, completed, and clearly flagged/organized document(s) you need notarized;
  • Your valid government-issued photo ID; (Note: If your document references a specific form of ID you are required to present it at your appointment. A copy of the ID will not be accepted)
  • One photocopy of the bio-data page of the government-issued photo ID you will present with your document;
  • The appropriate fee of $50 PER NOTARY SEAL, payable in cash (USD or THB) or by credit card;
  • Your (and your witnesses) printed appointment confirmation page(s).

Please be prepared to spend at least one-half hour to two hours at the embassy. Wait times are dependent upon the amount of notaries needed by each customer. ACS can notarize multiple documents during one scheduled appointment.

Please be aware that a consular officer may refuse any notary service when:

  • The document will be used in transactions that may be prohibited by U.S. law, treaty or foreign law;
  • The host country does not authorize the performance of the service;
  • The document is blank or incomplete;
  • The officer believes that the document is suspicious, potentially illegal, or detrimental to the best interests of the United States;
  • The officer does not understand the document, due to language or any other reason;
  • The officer believes the customer does not understand the document or is acting under duress;
  • The officer providing the notarial service has a disqualifying interest;
  • The document is an affidavit requested by a Thai government office;
  • Invalid, inadequate or insufficient proof of identification is presented, or proof of a corporate title or position is lacking or inadequate.

Refunds are NOT provided when a notary is refused. Customers must ensure they are in compliance with all of the above listed prerequisites.

U.S. Passport Applications and Applications for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad CANNOT be accepted during a “Notary or Other Services” appointment.

Still have questions? Click here