Getting Married in Thailand

How do I Get Married in Thailand?

U.S. embassy and consulate personnel cannot perform or register marriages.

A legal marriage in Thailand consists of both parties registering the marriage in person with a local Thai Amphur (civil registry office), a process that can take several days to complete. The United States generally recognizes the validity of such a marriage. A U.S. citizen wishing to marry a Thai citizen or another U.S. citizen should follow the procedure below. A U.S. citizen wishing to marry a third-country national should follow the procedure below and ensure their prospective spouse follows a similar but separate procedure at his/her embassy in Thailand.

1. Obtain a notarized marriage/divorce affidavit from American Citizen Services (ACS) unit of the Embassy/Consulate: for Bangkok (PDF 108 KB) or for Chiang Mai (PDF 76KB), by appointment for the appropriate fee.

2. Obtain a certified Thai translation of the marriage/divorce affidavit from a professional translation service in Bangkok (PDF 35KB) or in Chiang Mai (PDF 101KB). Translation services may also be available at/near the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA).

3. Have the marriage/divorce affidavit and Thai translation “legalized” by the Thai MFA for a nominal fee at the following location:

Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Department of Consular Affairs, Legalization Division
123 Chaeng Wattana Road, 3rd Floor
Tung Song Hong, Laksi District, Bangkok
Phone: 02-575-1057 or 1058
Fax: 02-575-1054
Service hours: 08:30 AM – 2:30 PM (closed on weekends and public holidays)

Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Department of Consular Affairs, Legalization Division
Chiang Mai Provincial Hall Building
Chotana Rd., T. Chang Puak
A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50000
Tel: 053-112 748, 0253-112 749, or 053-112 750

4. Present the following documents at any Amphur in Thailand to register your marriage and obtain a Thai marriage certificate:

  • Original marriage/divorce affidavit, Thai translation, and supporting documents, including proof that any and all prior marriages were ended by death, divorce or annulment; (Note: Some Amphurs may also require U.S. Embassy and Thai MFA payment receipts.)
  • Passport (U.S. citizens and third-country nationals);
  • Thai ID card (Thai citizens);
  • Written permission from parents to marry if either party is under age twenty (translated into Thai).

The Amphurs closest to U.S. Embassy Bangkok are located in Pathumwan and Bang Rak. To our knowledge, it is not necessary to make an appointment. If neither person getting married speaks Thai, consider bringing an interpreter.

The United States generally recognizes the validity of marriages legally registered in Thailand. However, you cannot register your marriage in the United States through a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, as marriage is a state-specific responsibility. If you would like to register your marriage in the United States, please contact the Attorney General in your state of residence for requirements. Some states may require your Thai marriage certificate to be certified. To certify a Thai marriage certificate, please have it translated into English and take both documents to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA). Then make an appointment and bring the certified document to American citizen services Unit in Bangkok or Chiang Mai; we will authenticate the signature of the MFA officer for the appropriate fee.

At present the Thai Government does not recognize or issue same-sex marriage certificates. Americans wishing to enter into a same-sex marriage must travel to the United States or another jurisdiction that performs same-sex marriages.

For more information on marriage abroad, please visit the State Department Bureau of Consular Affairs website.