Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.
Applying for a Driver’s License in Thailand
If you reside in Bangkok you may contact the Department of Land Transport (Tel: 02-271-8888) or another branch office nearest your location.
- Branch Office Area 1, Bangkhuntien
- Branch Office Area 2, Talingchan
Tel: 02-882-1620 through 1635
- Branch Office Area 3, Sukhumvit 62 Road
Tel: 02-332-9691 through 9694
- Branch Office Area 4, Nong Jork
Tel: 02-543-5500 through 5512
Chiang Mai Provincial Land Transport Office
192 Moo 7 Chiang Mai-Hod Rd., T. Maehia, A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50100
Phone:+66 53 278 265
If you reside in any other provinces, you may contact the Provincial Transportation Division of the province in which you are located.
Depending on the license you apply for, you will need the following:
For a Thai driver’s License
- Obtain a Blank Affidavit with your statement of residency: for Bangkok (PDF 7KB) or for Chiang Mai (PDF 85KB), executed at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Thai officials usually call this an Affidavit of Residence.
- U.S. passport, including a photo copy of the main page and the Thai visa page
- Medical Report (you may obtain at any hospital or clinic for the purpose of a driver’s license)
- Valid State / International driver’s license
** if you do not have a valid license, you may have to take a driving course and test
- Photo can be taken at the department of Land Transport
- Pay the fee (Fee 205 baht for car, Fee 105 baht for motorcycle)
For more information please visit https://www.dlt.go.th/en/renew-license/
For an international driver’s license (Can only be done at The Department of Land Transport)
An international driving license is accepted as long as it is valid, but a foreign license is not accepted in Thailand. If you are a resident and eligible, you should obtain a Thai Driver’s License. To apply for the international license, please bring:
- Obtain a Blank Affidavit with your statement of residency: for Bangkok (PDF 7KB) or for Chiang Mai (PDF 85KB), executed at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Thai officials usually call this an Affidavit of Residence. We have been told that instead of this affidavit, the Thai’s may accept a work permit if you have one.
- U.S. passport, including a photo copy of the main page and the Thai visa page.
- Five -years Thai driving license: car and/or motorcycle driving license Original and photocopy
- Two photos ( size 2 x 2 inches ) taken within 6 months
- 505.00 Baht fee
** International driving license is valid for 1 year **
For more information please visit https://www.dlt.go.th/en/international-driving-licence/