Report the Overseas Birth of a U.S. Citizen Child

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a formal document certifying the acquisition of United States citizenship at birth for a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). United States non-citizen nationals are also eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, using the non-citizen option.

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday. We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.

Please click here to visit the Department of State’s website to find out if your child may qualify for U.S. citizenship.

Please Note:

Click here to learn more if your child is born through use of assisted reproductive technology (IVF or Surrogacy)

Please be aware, Commercial Surrogacy in Thailand is banned and considered illegal according to Thai Law.

All appointments for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) in Thailand will be made only after receiving the application electronically (eCRBA) or by post mail.   Please note, Embassy and Consulate staff cannot pre-adjudicate CRBA applications, pre-screen documents or answer specific questions via phone/email until we receive the application package electronically or via post mail.

Once the determination is made that all required documents are completed, we will contact you via email to schedule an appointment.

CRBA Required Documents

Please follow the below steps on how to apply for your child’s CRBA.

Apply Online: You may apply for your child’s CRBA through eCRBA 

You can now apply for a CRBA electronically at U.S. Embassy Bangkok or U.S. Consulate General Chiang Mai. This new online feature allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview in a much more convenient fashion.

To be eligible to apply for an eCRBA, you MUST answer all the following criteria with YES.

  • Was the child born in Thailand?
  • Is the child under the age of 18?
  • Was at least one parent a U.S. citizen or U.S. non-citizen national when the child was born?
  • Can you use a credit/debit card or a direct payment method from a U.S. dollar denominated bank account (also known as “ACH”) to pay online for your Consular Report of Birth Abroad application?
  • Are you a biological parent of a child born abroad who is applying for that child?

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you MUST apply by completing a paper application (DS-2029).