Locations: Various locations
Event: Explosions and Suspicious Devices, Friday, August 2, 2019
The U.S. Embassy confirms several small explosions occurred the morning of August 2, 2019 at the following locations in the central business district and outlying areas of Bangkok: the stairs of Chong Nonsi BTS Station, in front of the Mahanakohn Building-King Power, the Chaengwattana Government Complex, Rama IX road, and the Office of the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Defense in Nonthaburi. Unexploded devices were discovered by authorities at the following locations during the same period: the Administrative Court building in the Chaengwattana Complex.
There are several reported injuries. No U.S. citizens have been reported as affected, however.
In addition, on the afternoon of August 1, 2019, two suspicious devices were found outside the Royal Thai Police (RTP) headquarters on Rama I road, near the Ratchaprasong shopping district.
Local police and Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) teams are responding to the events and two suspects are reportedly in custody.
Bangkok and nearby locations have seen sporadic, small-scale bombings in recent years. In most cases, the bombings do not appear intended to cause casualties, but are intended to send political messages during high-visibility events, or political transition periods.
Actions to Take:
- Stay alert, exercise caution, and be aware of your surroundings.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Follow instructions of Thai authorities.
- U.S. Embassy Bangkok, Thailand
American Citizens Services
+66 2 205 4049
+66 2 205 4000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 888 407 4747 or +1 202 501 4444
- Thailand Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter