Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Bangkok, Thailand (April 26, 2021)
Event: Temporary Closures, Restrictions, and Fines
The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has ordered numerous business venues and gathering places deemed high-risk for spreading COVID-19 to close from April 26, 2021 to at least May 9, 2021. The full list of closures can be found here: https://www.tatnews.org/2021/04/bangkok-imposes-2-week-restrictions-on-covid-19-high-risk-venues/. In addition, business hours for a number of venues are reduced.
Forty-five provinces, including Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, and Chon Buri, have made wearing a face mask in public compulsory. The Ministry of Interior will impose a fine of up to 20,000 baht for not wearing a mask in both indoor and outdoor public spaces.
Additional restrictions may be implemented with little or no advance notice and can include a thorough inspection of travelers, mandatory quarantines, or outright prohibition on entry for non-residents. These restrictions will make domestic travel between provinces increasingly difficult.
U.S. citizens are advised to consult relevant Thai government resources and media outlets to understand fully the requirements for entering the province(s) on a travel itinerary. Local restrictions related to COVID-19 are changing quickly, so proactive planning is imperative.
Resources for information on local COVID-19 restrictions include:
- Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT): Updates available on their website (https://www.tatnews.org/category/thailand-tourism-updates/) or by calling the TAT Call Center at +66 2 250 5500 or 1672 from within Thailand.
- Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Updates in English available on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/user/mfathailand).
- Thai Government Public Relations Department: Updates on their website (https://thailand.prd.go.th/main.php?filename=index) and on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/thailandprd/).
- Chiang Mai Province COVID-19 updates: https://www.facebook.com/Chiangmaidatacenter
- Local media.
Actions to Take:
- Research relevant travel restrictions and requirements before embarking on any domestic and international travel;
- Monitor local media and our Embassy website for updates;
- Check your email regularly for further alerts;
- Continue COVID-19 precautions, including mask use and social distancing;
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information; and,
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- U.S. Embassy Bangkok, Thailand
Telephone: +66 2 205 4049
+66 2 205 4000 (after hours)
American Citizens Services
- U.S. Consulate General Chiang Mai, Thailand (serving U.S. citizens in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Kamphaengphet, Lampang, Lamphun, Mae Hong Son, Nan, Petchabun, Phayao, Phichit, Phitsanulok, Phrae, Sukhothai, Tak, and Uttaradit provinces)
Telephone: +66 053 107 700
+66 2 205 4000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Thailand Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter