Thailand and the United States will co-host the annual, multilateral Exercise Cobra Gold with over two dozen participating nations and events in various areas throughout the Kingdom of Thailand February 9-19, 2016.
Media are invited to attend the following events:
- 9 February: Cobra Gold Opening Ceremony, Royal Thai Marine Corps Base, Sattahip
- 10 February: Community Relations Event: Ban Sa Yai School, Ban Sa Yai, Trat
- 14 February: Community Relations Event: Khao Chi Chan School, Sattahip
- 16 February: Humanitarian Civic Action Dedication Ceremony: Watbanmak School, Saraburi
- 17 February: Non-combatant Evacuation Operation (NEO) / Transportation of Japanese Nationals Overseas (TJNO), Utapao
- 17 February: Humanitarian Civic Action Dedication Ceremony: Banrachbamrung School, Lopburi
- 18 February: Engineer Civic Actions Projects, site 1, Dedication Ceremony, Ban Sa Yai, Trat
Cobra Gold 2016, the 35th version of the annual military exercise, is the largest multilateral exercise in the Asia-Pacific region and is an integral part of the U.S. commitment to engagement in the region. This year, Cobra Gold will strengthen regional cooperation and collaboration, increasing the ability of participating nations to work together on complex multilateral operations such as counter-piracy and the delivery of humanitarian assistance and disaster relief.
The exercise will improve the capabilities of participating nations to plan and conduct combined, joint operations; build relationships among participating nations from across the region; and improve interoperability over a wide range of security activities.
This year’s exercise will consist of three primary events: a command post exercise which includes a senior leader seminar, humanitarian civic assistance projects in Thai communities, and a field training exercise that will include a variety of training events to enhance interoperability and strengthen regional relationships. There will be up to 27 nations either directly participating in or observing Cobra Gold 16, with approximately 3,600 U.S. personnel directly participating in the various events both ashore and afloat.
For more information, photos, and stories about the Cobra Gold exercise, including past iterations, please visit the official Facebook page athttp://www.facebook.com/ExerciseCobraGold.
Media interested in attending any of these events must RSVP no later than three days prior by sending an email to Pattaro@state.gov orCobragold.firstname.lastname@example.org.