2024 Foreign National Student Intern Program (FNSIP)
The 2024 FNSIP will offer two scheduled sessions, synched to university breaks, and two participation options.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a Thai citizen or permanent legal resident with authorization to work;
- Be at least 18 years old at the time of participation in the program;
- Be a full-time third year undergraduate student at an accredited university located in Thailand, with at least one semester remaining before graduation;
- Have a minimum 2.80 GPA;
- Possess good working knowledge of English;
- Complete security clearance (after selection).
- Complete the appropriate online FNSIP Application Form
- Submit all the below required documents:
- Verification of student status
- Thai ID card/proof of permanent legal residence and proof of work authorization
by email (Subject Line: First Name – Last Name and Position Number) only in PDF format to MissionThailandFNSIP@state.gov by November 19, 2023.
- Interested students can apply for only one session, but for up to 3 positions.
- Participating students are expected to work 40 hours per week.
- This is an unpaid internship without benefits. No housing or other allowances will be provided.
- After selection, selected students are required to pass a security clearance and are required to be physically in the country during the clearance process.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Do you need to study International Relations to intern here?/What areas of studies are accepted?
A: No, we accept a wide variety of majors, to include: Accounting, Asian Studies, Business administration (Finance), Thai Studies, Political Science, Language and Intercultural Communication, Communication Arts, Journalism and Mass Communication, English Literature, Business English/French, Design Business, Engineering, Technology and Management. Additionally, some hiring offices request specific majors such as Law and Media.
Q: How many interns do you accept each time? And how many apply?
A: There is no limit of the number of interns. It depends on the requests from the hiring office. For 2022, we received more than 400 applications and 62 interns were accepted.
Q: How many departments are open for internship? What are they?
A: For 2022, there were 50 Hiring Offices which includes 6 from Chiang Mai.
Q: Can we choose what departments we want to apply?
A: Yes. Up to a maximum of three.
Q: Do you require English proficiency or English test scores?
A: No English Proficiency Test needed but must be able to communicate and have a good working knowledge. The English proficiency will be evaluated by hiring officer during the interview.
Q: What kind of documents do we have to prepare?
A: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a Thai citizen;
- Be a full-time third or fourth year undergraduate student at an accredited university located in Thailand, with at least one semester remaining before graduation/certification;
- Minimum 2.80 GPA;
- Possess good working knowledge of English; and
- Complete a security clearance (after selection).
Q: How do we apply?
Q: What are the selection criteria?
A: Based on required qualifications that were advertised.
Q: Which criteria are the most important?
A: All criteria are important and required. Intern applicants must meet all the qualifications in order to pass the pre-screen review.
Q: Do you look at the transcript and grades?
A: Yes, it is one of the required qualifications.
Q: Any tips on how to write the application?
A: Complete all questions on the online application. Carefully read and follow the instructions. You must specifically and clearly document your qualifications on the online application such as education, work experience, language, skills and job knowledge related to the requirements of each position.
Q: How can we prepare to apply for the internship?
A: Check the website regularly for the vacancy announcement (VA). Identify professors who can prepare letters of recommendation. Conduct mock interviews in English.
Q: What if I am studying in another province, can I apply?
A: Yes! We encourage applicants from all provinces.
Q: Is the internship open to other nationalities?
A: Not in Thailand, no. Other U.S. Missions in other countries may offer similar internships programs for nationals of that country.
Q: What kind of tasks do the interns do?
A: This depends on the job in which they were selected. Interns can perform any tasks that assigned or guided by supervisor.
Q: For the interns, what is your most memorable moments while working here?
A: Attend special Event e.g. Secretary of State visit, Travel, Meeting new people, getting out of comfort zone, friendly workshop environment and activities prepared for interns.
Q: What kind of career do the interns have after they graduate?
A: There are more than 1,500 Locally Employed (LE) Staff positions in the U.S. Mission Thailand. Please visit the U.S. Embassy website regularly to see available opportunities and apply for those in which you are qualified. New vacancy announcements are posted every Friday.
Q: After the internship, can we apply for an employment?
A: YES! You can apply for as many as positions for which you meet all qualifications of each vacancy announcement, including positions that you may have interviewed but were not selected for in the past. Each job vacancy announcement has specific criteria for consideration as follows:
- Type of candidates: Please ensure that you are eligible to apply for the position which you apply for. To learn more about eligibility, click Who May Apply.
- Qualification Requirements: You must meet all qualification requirements of the position to be considered for the position.
- Required documents: Different position may require different supporting documents. Please review your application packet before submitting your application. You need to clarify your qualifications clearly on the online application such as education, work experience, language, skills and job knowledge related to the requirements of each position. For example, if the position requires Thai and English skills, you must clarify both language skills in your online application.
It is your responsibility to clarify all requirement qualifications and upload all required documents by the deadline of each vacancy announcement.