American Corners (ACs) in Thailand are one-stop centers for information about the United States. They are partnerships between the U.S. Embassy in Thailand and host institutions.
Located in the main libraries of Chiang Mai University, Prince of Songkla University (Pattani campus), Yala Rajabhat University , and Faculty of Humanities and Social Science of Mahasarakham University, , the ACs aim to foster mutual understanding between Thailand and the United States through a variety of means including satellite broadcasts, digital video conferences, hi-speed Internet access, and book and multimedia collections. The ACs are used to stimulate dialogue with individual citizens, organizations, institutions and the media by providing information and cultural activities.
ACs in Thailand are open to the public during library business hours. For more details on services and current programs at each AC, please contact them directly at the addresses below:
American Corner Chiang Mai: 1st Floor, Faculty of Political Science and Public Administration, Chiang Mai University
Huay Kaew Road, Amphur Muang, Chiang Mai 50200
American Corner Mahasarakham: Faculty of Humanities and Social Science
American Corner Pattani: 3rd Floor, JFK Library, Office of Academic Services
Prince of Songkla University Pattani Campus
181 Charoen Pradit Road, Amphur Muang, Pattani 94000
Phone: 073-313-928-46 ext 1437 Fax: 073-333-587
American Corner Yala: 2nd Floor, Academic Resources Center
Yala Rajabhat University
133 Tessaban 3 Road, Tambon Sateng Amphur Muang, Yala 95000
Phone: 073-299675 ext. 23401
Products & Services Available at American Corners
- Books and Multimedia Collections: Provide current and reliable information on various subjects including American studies, history, economics, management, business, politics, law and democracy, as well as English teaching and student advising.
- Periodicals and Newspapers: Current issues of approximately 10 popular American periodicals.
- U.S. Government Materials: Electronic journals, reports, and information on U.S. Government programs and grants, educational opportunities, and possibilities for financial support in the United States.
- Hi-Speed Internet Access: With guidance from professional reference staff for fast and efficient information retrieval.
- American Satellite Programs: Broadcasted from the Voice of America in Washington D.C. through a special satellite system, these programs offer not only current news from the U.S. and around the world, but also interesting youth, pop culture, health, business and science programs.
- Digital Video Conferences: Interactive programs which allows political and community leaders, journalists, professionals and concerned citizens to exchange their views with leading American experts in such various subjects as economics, politics, culture, science and technology, and issues of current interests.
- Cultural Programs: The ACs host U.S. Speaker programs, educational exchange programs, cultural events and exhibits to promote mutual understanding between Thailand and the United States.
- English Language Activities: Assists in professional development through workshops, seminars, conferences, and information dissemination, with focuses on English language education, American literature, applied linguistics, linguistics, and related fields.